Biomass EcoStore, Drax Power Station – Selby, North Yorks
Client: Shepherd Construction
Moorhead Excavations Ltd undertook its largest recent on-site earthworks contract. In conjunction with Main Contractor, Shepherd Construction, Moorhead Excavations Ltd carried out the Site Preparation and Bulk Earthworks on the new Biomass EcoStore at Drax Power Station (near Selby, North Yorks).
The project consisted of the construction of 4nr 60m diameter silos built above 200m long conveyor tunnels excavated to a depth of 9m. A Rail Off-Load Building and additional Rail Infrastructure together with over 600m of haul road were also constructed.
At its peak, more than 20 pieces of Heavy Plant were employed on site.
Moorhead Excavations Ltd’s exemplary Health & Safety and Environmental record came to the fore, executing this demanding project within the confines of Britain’s Largest Coal-Fired Power Station. The sub-contract works were completed on programme for a lump sum fixed price.
As a return visit, the tunnels were subsequently backfilled with circa 185,000 Tonnes of DoT Type 1 subbase.
- 150,000m3 of Bulk Excavation and haulage (4kms) by Articulated Dump Trucks to an on- site tip.
- 70,000m2 of Lime & Cement soil stabilisation to achieve a 30% CBR Working Platform.
- Import & lay 20,000Tns of Clean Stone
- Import & lay 25,000Tns of 6F5 Capping
- Import & lay 5,000Tns of Reclaimed Road Planings
0113 279 6556
Lower Wortley Road,
Leeds, LS12 4PX